Visa Information Progreso


, , , ,

Ok, so we got our FM2 Visa’s and the process was really quite simple. Progreso´s Immigration office is located at Calle 80 x 39 # 176 (right next to SMAPAP) Phone number: (969) 935-0022 (located by the water tower). We were greeted by a friendly gent who opened the door for us and directed us to the sign in sheet. This was a pretty simple step and our reason for being there today was to gather information on how to apply for a visa. We were the only people waiting to see the lady and as soon as she was done with the person she was talking to it was our turn.

She proved to be very helpful and informative and spoke English which was very helpful to us. She informed us on the differences between the FM2 and the FM3 visa, the costs involved with each, and what each meant. She then gave us a couple of lists we needed to complete before we came back. One item was to go online and complete the online forms for the application. This can be found at: From there your menu selections are:

  • Tramites y Servicios
    • Migrantes,
      • then select Estancia from the page

Then answer the questions and double check all your data to match passports exactly. When you complete the form, you will be given a number and a password. WRITE both of these down as this is what the lady at INM requires to retrieve your information (she doesn’t need the password and I never used it again but write it down anyways!). As my Spanish is very limited I used Google Chrome to translate the page from Spanish to English and entered the correct information into the form in FireFox. Chrome translated a couple of items incorrectly so when we took the forms in to see the immigration officer we had errors which had to be corrected by us online and then we needed to visit the office again.

So, we completed the form and were ready to go to the office again. This is our third visit and really we have never waited more than 5 minutes to see her. At this point she double checked all of our application information and ensured it matched our passports 100%. Then we gave her all the documents we had collected from the list we had (she did not need all the documents).


Checklist of documents:

  • Copy of your passport.
  • Tourist visa (FMM) given to you at the port of entry in Mexico.
  • Copy of proof of your legal address in Yucatan (electricity, water or phone bill not older than 2 months). It does not have to be under your name.
  • Copy of your last 3 bank account statements reflecting that you have enough income to live in Mexico: at least 1,200-1,300 dollars in each month.
  • For each economic dependant add 650 dollars per month on top of the 1,200-1,300 dollars.
  • You should also bring for your 2 kids, their birth certificate to show the relation between you, since they will depend economically of you. The birth certificate should have the apostille stamp of the State where it was issued or must be legalized; also it should be translated to Spanish (this last part can be done here in Merida when you come next time).


Five color photos with white background, infant size (2.5 x 3 cm).

  • Three photos taken from the front.
  • Two photos taken from the right, showing the right profile.
  • Applicant must not be wearing glasses in the photo and hair must be behind the ears.
  • Pictures should be taken in a specialized photography studio. Polaroid or cellular phone pictures will not be accepted.

Dues to Immigration

  • Change from tourist visa to any other category: $491 pesos (onetime payment).
  • FM3: $1,294 pesos

We had decided to apply for the FM2 Visa. A major difference as we understood it was that after five years the FM2 visa could be turned into full residency, whereas with an FM3 Visa you never achieve full residency. With an FM2 visa you can only leave the country for a maximum of 18 months in the first five years where with a FM3 visa you can only be out of the country for 6 months per year of the visa. Both visa’s need to be renewed yearly, but the FM2 only has to be renewed 4 times and the FM3 can be renewed indefinitely. Neither Visa at its basic stage can be used for employment in Mexico. You must follow the proper steps to get a working visa amended to your visa. You can however, continue to make foreign money with either Visa. If you want to work in Mexico you must form a corporation and have an accountant look after everything for you.

After reviewing all of our documents, by reviewing I mean she checked to make sure our names matched our passports and told us to return the following Wednesday at 10am for our appointment. So on Wednesday we arrived at about 9:30 am and waited about 3 minutes before she could see us for the appointment. We were anticipating a big interview and thorough review of all the documents. But she surprised us and had the forms printed and ready to sign. Then she took the photographs we had taken (at Walmart) and put them on our Visa’s. A quick thumbprint and signature and we had our FM2 Visa’s! We did have to return the next day for a couple of minutes because we did not have the children with us and they needed to give a thumbprint also. She quickly laminated their visa’s and we were good to go.

I believe anyone can apply for their own Visa in Progreso, Merida may be a little more difficult as the office there is much bigger and could be intimidating and you may have to wait longer to get help. If you live on the coast, Progreso office is the best option for you.

Be sure to find out which visa is best for you!

4 Responses to “Visa Information Progreso”

  1. Kurt says:

    FROM THE HSBC Website –

    Immigrant Visa
    FM2 visas and permanent residency

    Immigrant Visas (FM2 visas) are issued to foreigners who want to live in Mexico for more than a year and are seeking permanent residency or Mexican citizenship.

    FM2 visas are issued for one year and can be renewed each year as long as you stay in Mexico. Unlike the FM3 visa, FM2 visas give you the status of an immigrant (inmigrante). After five years of living in Mexico with an FM2 visa you can apply for a permanent resident status (inmigrado).

    Just like non-immigrant FM3 visas, FM2 visas are granted for various purposes that define the activities you can carry out in Mexico:

    Retirees or Living off of Resources (Rentistas) – allows you to live in Mexico on a pension income but does not allow you to work in Mexico.
    Investor (Inversionista) – granted upon a minimum investment in Mexico
    Professional (Profesional) – allows you to practice a profession in Mexico if your professional degree is registered and acknowledged by the Federal Professionals Degrees Registry at the Federal Ministry of Public Education
    Trusted Personnel (Cargos de Confianza) – granted to high level management or other high-level positions in a Mexican company
    Scientist (Cientifico) – granted for scientific research or scientific teaching
    Technician (Tecnico) – granted to technical personnel in Mexican companies
    Family Members (Familiares) – applies to spouses and/or direct blood descendants (sons, daughters, nephews, grandchildren and brothers/sisters)
    Artists and Athletes (Artistas y Deportistas)
    Assimilated Individuals (Asimilados) – granted to those who do not fit into any of the preceding categories but are assimilated (fit in) to Mexico and will perform some licit, honest and productive activity in Mexico, or for those that are the spouse of or descendent of a Mexican national.

    To apply for an FM2 visa you do not need to have held an FM3 visa before, and the years you have lived in Mexico with an FM3 visa do not automatically count for the qualification period for permanent residency. If you intend to stay in Mexico for a long time it is therefore advisable to apply for an FM2 visa as soon as possible, although the application process is more complicated than for an FM3 visa.

    You can apply for an FM2 visa while in Mexico with an FMT or FM3 visa. Upon receiving your FM2 immigrant status you will receive a document that serves like a “foreigner’s passport” that allows you to pass through Mexican borders like a Mexican citizen.
    Can you work in Mexico with an FM2 visa?

    If your immigration status is “no inmigrante” or “inmigrante” (non-resident immigrant), you need to get permission from the Mexican Immigrations Office (Instituto Nacional de Migración – INM) before you can work in an area that is different from the one that you were authorised for. For more information check our articles on work permits or go to .
    Permanent residence (inmigrado)

    After having lived in Mexico for 5 years with an FM2 visa you can apply for a permanent resident status (inmigrado) which entitles you to full rights and responsibilities of Mexican citizens (i.e. IMSS sickness pay and income tax payment), except for the right to vote. As an inmigrado, you also have the right to work in Mexico.

  2. Kurt says:

    Information from MEXPERIENCE website:
    I pasted the information from their website here as sometimes links do not always work.

    What are the Non-Immigrant Visas?

    There are various classifications of Non-Immigrant visitors to Mexico – the main ones are listed below.

    FMM – The Short-Term Non-Immigrant Visa

    Short term visas are intended for visitors (usually tourists) to Mexico on short term (six months or less) visits. For trips of longer than six months, a non-immigrant or immigrant visa should be considered—see the sections below for details. The FMM has a ‘Business Visitor’ section, specifically for persons who come to Mexico for short business visits not exceeding 180 days. FMM visas are issued by airlines and are also available at ports of entry* See Also: Entry Requirements for Tourists
    FM3 – The Long-Term Non-Immigrant Visa

    Mexico operates what is known as a FM3 visa. The FM3 visa is a renewable long term (more than six months) permit which gives non-immigrant temporary residency status to the holder. This means that it gives a person the right to live in Mexico (under terms as set out in the visa) but it does not lead to, and cannot be converted to, a visa leading to permanent residency or Mexican Citizenship.

    There are various categories under which FM3 visas are granted, and these relate to the activities you intend to undertake while in Mexico. Under the terms of the FM3, you are authorized to only undertake certain, specific activities which may be lucrative or non-lucrative, depending on the visa’s classification.

    One of the criteria that the Mexican authorities require for the issuance of a FM3 visa is that the applicant prove that they have ‘sufficient funds to sustain themselves while in Mexico’ and/or a proven steady income. There is no official minimum or maximum amount—every application appears to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

    Once applied for and granted, the FM3 may be renewed for an additional four years (for a total of five years). After this period, a new FM3 may be applied for and, if granted, will serve for another (max) five year period, renewable annually.

    The FM3 visa cannot be exchanged automatically for a visa leading to permanent residency (FM2); a FM2 must be applied for separately. Any years accrued under a FM3 visa are not transferable towards FM2-residency status (see FM2 heading, below, for details).

    Immigrant Visas are issued to foreign nationals who have the intention of living in Mexico for long periods of time (over one year) AND who intend to seek permanent residency in Mexico, or Mexican Citizenship.

    FM2 – The Immigrant Visa

    FM2 visas are intended for people seeking permanent residency status in Mexico or those who may seek eventual Mexican Citizenship.

    There are various categories under which FM2 visas are granted, and these relate to the activities you intend to undertake while in Mexico. Under the terms of the FM2, you are authorized to only undertake certain, specific activities which may be lucrative or non-lucrative.

    You must hold a FM2 for a qualifying period* before you may apply for “immigrant” status or Mexican Citizenship.

    You do not need to have held a FM3 visa before applying for a FM2, and any years you may have accrued while living in Mexico under the auspice of a FM3 do not count towards your FM2 qualification period.

    If your goal is to seek long-term residency in Mexico, or to become a Mexican Citizen, you should apply for FM2 status (or request a change of status from FM3 to FM2) so that your time starts counting towards the qualification period as soon as possible.

    Once you are in possession of a FM2, following the qualification period, you may apply for full residency status in Mexico

    When your full residency status has been accepted, you may also begin your application for Mexican Citizenship, although this is optional; you can remain a ‘resident alien’ on a FM2 visa indefinitely.

    Upon receiving immigrated status, you will receive a plastic card that looks like a driver’s license. This card enables you to pass through Mexico’s borders as if you were a Mexican national.

    If you hold a FM2 visa and stay outside of Mexico for longer than 2 years, or for 5 years in any 10 year period, you will lose your permanent resident status in Mexico.

    *Qualifying periods vary depending on your circumstances. Seek professional about this matter.
    Examples of the kinds of people who might apply for FM2 visas:

    If you are over 50 years of age and want to engage in “non-remunerative activities” and you are receiving funds from abroad (from a pension or other investments or fixed income) you can apply for a Retiree Immigration Permit. Read more about Retirement in Mexico on Mexperience.
    You can receive an immigration permit if you are willing to invest your capital in Mexico. You investment can be directed at industry or services, and must equal a minimum set amount—check separately for the latest investment levels required for this visa.

    If you are a qualified professional, you can have your certificates validated by the Mexican Consulate in your home country and apply for an immigration visa to live in Mexico and seek permanent residence.

    Technical or Scientific Professions
    If you are a qualified technician or scientist, Mexico offers a category of visa which enables you to live and work in Mexico under sponsorship from a foreign company. For example, if the company wants to open an office or factory in Mexico, a person or persons representing that company may enter Mexico to manage the commercial operations on a long term basis.

    Artists and Sports People
    Artists or sports people who seek long term permanent residency in Mexico may apply for a FM2 visa. Each case is considered individually and entry is at the Interior Ministry’s discretion.

  3. Julie says:

    Hi Kurt

    We’re working on our Visa apps, they are a little different now with the new temporary and permanent visa’s but I think I have that sorted out. What I’m wondering about is the Birth Certificates. Should we get them translated here before we go? Also has the Alberta stamp on them been good enough for you? I know a lawyer who offered to notarize them if needed, I’m just not sure if that is necessary?

    Thanks again for all your help,

    • Kurt says:

      Hi, we did have ours stamped before we came, just so it wouldn’t be an issue when we got here. We have never had to use ours, but other families have had to. It is best to get everything done that you can before you arrive as getting it done after is sometimes much more difficult.
      Notarizing is not as important as the apostile stamp – that we have heard can be very important as Canadian documents are not always recognized in Mexico.
      Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 Letters From Merida Progreso Mexico | Canadian Family Blog Yucatan.